The Red Wings were the better team for about 4o minutes of this game but the Bruins got a late goal scored by a Colin Miller blast to tie it up.  Then in overtime Frank Vatrano tipped in another Colin Miller shot from the point to win it.  Here are BostonPucks.com’s 3 thoughts for the game.

1) The kids are alright

    As mentioned above Colin Miller scored the game tying goal with 1:44 left in the game.  Miller was able to step into a Loui Eriksson drop pass and blow it right by Red Wings goalie, Peter Mrazek.  Then in overtime it was his shot that Frank Vatrano redirected to the net for the game winner.  Colin Miller also made a few really nice defensive plays.  One of them was when the Bruins goalie Jonas Gustavsson made a save but the puck was sitting right there with an open net.  Miller quickly directed the puck to the corner.  It seems like almost every game I notice Colin Miller making a good play in the defensive zone to prevent a scoring opportunity.  It is starting to look like Bruins GM Don Sweeney should get arrested for Grand Larceny.  For Milan Lucic he essentially got Colin Miller, 13th overall pick in 2015 draft (Jacob Zboril), an unprotected 2016 1st round pick (from San Jose for Martin Jones), and prospect, Sean Kuraly, who plays NCAA hockey for Miami (OH).

    What can you say about Frank Vatrano?  He just continues to impress.  He was out of the last two games with an upper body injury and he comes back tonight and scores two goals.  The first goal was similar to his first career goal in Montreal, shot from the high slot.  Then in overtime he got his stick in position for the tip in.  Tonight he was on the third line with Ryan Spooner and Brett Connolly.  You really have to give the Bruins’ College Scouts some props for signing Vatrano.  The kid just scores goals.  Vatrano’s first goal was assisted by Kempainen and Ferraro.  If there are not any other injuries I wonder if Claude would go with that for a 4th line once Pastrnak comes back.

    2) The Bruins deserved to lose this game, but Gustavsson bailed them out

      The Bruins came out and had a good first period, but in the last 5 minutes of the period Detroit started to get a lot of offensive zone time.  Detroit came out in the second period and absolutely dominated the Bruins.  This domination continued into the third period until about half way through when the Bruins started to push back.  The bottom line is the Bruins need to move their feet.  There was way too much coasting going on.  The Red Wings were beating them to every puck.  Jonas Gustavsson was at the top of his game against his former team.  This is becoming a trend with Gustavsson.  If it was not for the Montreal game that he played, he could be 6-0.  I thought Gustavsson would be a reliable backup and play somewhere between 18-22 games, but I did not expect this.  He has exceeded all expectations.  With Tuukka rounding into form the Bruins could have one of the best goalie tandems in the NHL.  The Bruins do not win this game tonight without Gustavsson.

      3) BostonPucks.com is putting out an APB for Brett Connolly

        Brett Connolly was pretty invisible tonight.  I really did not notice him at all in the game.  In the beginning of the year he was not producing, but you could at least see him skating with authority with the puck on this stick.  Then he went on a roll when playing on a line with Bergeron and Marchand.  The Bruins scoring has slowed down in the past 3 games so he needs to find his game again and start being productive to help this club get through the dog days of the season.  He tends to play too much on the perimeter.  He needs to get to the net and get some dirty goals.  It does not really help being on a line with Ryan Spooner as your Center, who does not create much 5-on-5.

        *** Extra***

        • 2 assists in 2 games for Landon Ferraro.  Not a bad start for the kid.
        • Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and the Bruins hold onto a playoff spot.  I heard a stat the other day that teams have an 80% chance of making the playoffs when they are in a playoff spot at Thanksgiving.  Last year the Bruins were in the 20%.  I believe the Bruins were one of two teams that were in a playoff spot at Thanksgiving and ended up missing the playoffs.