Finally. Son a bitch it feels like I’ve been waiting a year for the season to start. I guess not making the playoffs will have that effect on you. Tonight should be a doozie full of unknowns. Here a just few things to watch for tonight:
- David Backes is playing in his first game for the Bruins and he’s doing it under unique circumstances. He was brought in to be the 3rd line center/top-6 right wing and due to a last minute injury to Patrice Bergeron he will now center the top line. He can obviously handle that duty but it’ll be interesting to see how he clicks with Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak
- Brandon Carlo and Rob O’Gara fill out the defense to the surprise of some due to injuries to Kevan Miller and Adam McQuaid. Last season it would have been a mix of Zach Trotman, Matt Irwin, and Joe Morrow looking to patch up the holes on the blue line with Zdeno Chara missing the home opener. Carlo and O’Gara make for better options this year and Chara is healthy this time around. Let’s see how these guys handle a real NHL game together under the bright lights of opening night because last year it was a disaster.
- Danton Heinen, Austin Czarnik, and Noel Acciari bring the young blood into the lineup as well. Acciari has the NHL experience but it’s Heinen and Czarnik who are coming off fantastic camps and looking to show they’re legit.
- Tuukka Rask is looking to improve on his slow start to last season. It’d be pretty great to see him come out in “game stealing” form with all the new faces and unknowns playing in front of him. And having coming off of the World Cup experience he may have a jumpstart on the season. That stability would go a long way right out of the gate.
- Tonight I will be sipping on Smuggler’s Notch Distillery straight bourbon whiskey. What is your game night drink?