Sweet baby Jesus what a show that was. The Bruins hit the Garden ice on fire, jumped out to a 1-0 lead early in a game for what felt like the first time in a month, weathered Toronto’s best efforts, then unleashed their David’s (Backes, Pastrnak, Krejci).
When the final buzzer sounded it was a 5-1 B’s win, even though it was over after the 2nd period. The 3rd period was merely a formality. The NHL does require the period be played even if one team is receiving a hockey beating of a lifetime.
Here are some of the NSFW highlights of the game:
- Hope you have an “inappropriate content” filter on your browser because Brad Marchand licked Leo Komorov:
- Marchand (1 goal, 1 assist) also had a beautiful goal on a backhand finish. The replay appeared to show he was offside on the zone entry but Leafs coach Mike Babcock chose not to challenge the play which helped the B’s avoid a momentum crushing goal reversal. Marchand also had a great assist on David Pastrnak’s (1 goal, 2 assists) bar down laser.
- Nazem Kadri threw one of the more scumbag like hits you’ll ever see on a defenseless Tommy Wingels just moments after he threw a similar scum baggy hit on Wingels that got him a boarding penalty. The second one got Kadri an ejection from the game which likely saved his life by getting him away from the likes of Adam McQuaid and Kevan Miller. I’m not going to rant like I want to about the Kadri hit. The guy deserves a 5 game suspension. He’s had multiple 4 game suspensions for cheap shots and this one had I-don’t-give-a-fuck intent to injure all over it. But the NHL’s department of player safety is spineless and inconsistent so he’ll get 2 games. Maybe.
- Sean Kuraly did his best Superman impression by swatting in a goal and leaping through the air all at once. The optics of the goal will get all the love but the real story to this goal is Kuraly remained patient and let the puck drop a bit before he batted it in to avoid hitting it with a high stick. Heady play.
- David Backes (1 goal, 1 assist) has better feet than Rinaldo. And I don’t mean that in a Rex “I Want To Make Sex To Feet” Ryan kind of way. In the second period David Krejci made a pass to the slot intended for Backes that didn’t quite land on target. Backes was still able to out battle Ron Hainsey in front of the net, kick the puck up to his own stick, then go shelf. Beauty.
- Adam McQuaid was a beast on the penalty kill. He logged an impressive 5:11 of time shorthanded and was a big reason the B’s penalty kill went 3-for-3 against an often lethal Leafs power play.
- On the other side of special teams Torey Krug played a whopping 7:13 of power play time, was second on the team with 5 shots on goal, and had two assists, one being with the man advantage as well. He quarterbacked the B’s power play to an extremely efficient 50% (3-for-6) performance.
- Tuukka Rask was great. He stopped 26 of 27 shots faced (.963 save percentage) and even though he wasn’t under a ton of duress (Mitch Marner did miss a wide open net) he made the tough saves he had to when called upon.
- Did Auston Matthews get off the bus? I didn’t see him out there.
Game 2 of the series goes down Saturday at the Garden at 8pm.
Follow us on Twitter @BostonPucks and let’s talk hockey.